Thursday 24 January 2013

I am a Carpenter And You Are my Lady.


Last Wednesday I went to my consult with the oral surgeon.  I expected a short visit and to leave with some pamphlets in hand.  Instead I was there for almost an hour with a very passionate surgeon!

He explained the procedure with some model jaws for a visual (very helpful).  He would perform a Lefort I on my top jaw and take a sliver of bone from my right side to shorten the jaw and rotate the entire top jaw so it's straight.  He would also cut on both sides of my bottom jaw to position it correctly to line up correctly to my upper jaw. And of course, the possible genioplasty that might be needed to centre my chin to my perfect new bite (Ouch!).

 He took tons of pictures and uploaded them right away so that we could look at them on the computer while we talked.    Once he started explaining the procedure he got more and more excited about it. He said "I am your carpenter and you are my lady"!  LOL!  I also had some X-rays done so one day they may be my "before" X-rays!  So exciting!

He seemed pretty competent when he removed my wisdom teeth 16 years ago, and my friend has wonderful things to say about him from her (successful) double jaw surgery only a few months ago.

So it seems that I found a great surgeon, with a wonderful referral, and a sense of humour!

The only thing that is holding me back is the cost.  With any luck, my benefit plan and my husbands plan will cover most of the visits, appointments, moulds, and X-rays leading up to the surgery and follow up visits.  It will not cover the surgery itself.  OHIP covers many of the costs from the hospital, however the oral surgeon will charge a large sum of money to perform the surgery.

I forgot to ask how long my recovery time will be so I can plan the time off work ahead of time.  I'll have to remember to ask that when I go back.

I also was referred to an orthodontist, the same one my friend uses for her orthodontics for her surgery.  This is all feeling like it just might be a possibility.  A very exciting possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment